Military and Overseas Voting

Idaho Military and Overseas Citizens

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FPCA) has a form provided by federal law to register and / or request an absentee ballot. You are eligible to use an FPCA application if you are a(n):

  • Member of the Uniformed Services (including Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard)
  • Merchant Marine
  • Eligible family member of the above
  • Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, and Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
  • United States citizens employed by the Federal Government residing outside the United States
  • Private United States citizens residing outside the United States

You must be eligible to vote in Idaho to use the FPCA to register and / or request an absentee ballot from Idaho.

You are eligible to vote in Idaho if you:

  • will be at least 18 years old on election day;
  • are a citizen of the United States, and;
  • are an Idaho resident

Residence is defined in the Idaho Election Code as “…Principal or primary home or place of abode is that home or place in which his habitation is fixed and to which a person, whenever he is absent, has the present intention of returning after a departure or absence therefrom, regardless of the duration of absence.”

FPCA’s may be obtained by eligible voters from voting assistance officers within their branch of service, from a U.S. consulate or embassy, and from the Federal Voting Assistance Program of the Department of Defense, Washington D.C. 20301.

Idaho specific instructions for completing the FPCA are available online at the Federal Voting Assistance web site in PDF format.

  • Print out the Idaho FPCA.
  • Complete the FPCA, sign and mail it to your county clerk. To register and request an absentee ballot, your FPCA must be postmarked by the 25th day before the election. If you are already registered and only wish to request an absentee ballot, the County Clerk must receive your FPCA or a written application requesting a ballot by 5:00 p.m. on the 11th day before the election.
    We encourage you to mail your FPCA or ballot request in as early as possible.
  • Vote your ballot and return it to your county clerk. (It must be received by the election office by 8:00 p.m. on election day.)
  • You can check the status of your absentee request here.

Related links:

Federal Voting Assistance Program

System Upgrade In Progress

Online Voter Tools are expected to be offline from April 9th at 5:00 p.m. MDT, through April 12th at 8:00 a.m. MDT to complete a system upgrade.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please contact your county clerk for voting registration or absentee ballot requests.